ROC Homes builds quality new homes in West U and is a preferred homebuilder for families looking to live in this outstanding Houston community!
The idea for a community of country homes in the area that is now West University Place was conceived in 1910 by Ben W. Hooper, then Governor of Tennessee. That year, Governor Hooper bought a tract of land southwest of Houston out of an old Spanish land grant, which had been surveyed by A.C. Reynolds. Houston West End Realty Company President, A.D. Foreman, developed today's West University Place's First Addition and put the first lots up for sale on April 1, 1917. The area's proximity to Rice University led to the name West University Place.
When the City of Houston decided not to invest in utility lines to service the tiny community with an uncertain future, Foreman spent $100,000 of his own earnings to bring electrical, water and telephone service to West U. Still, in 1923 there were only 40 families living in the muddy, poorly drained swamp. In those early days, a 100 ft. x 200 ft. lot cost $1,000 and houses were required to cost a minimum of $2,500. Homes facing Buffalo Speedway and Bellaire Boulevard were required to cost $4,000 and $5,000 respectively.
Residents dissatisfied with muddy streets, poor drainage, and the absence of schools and fire protection joined in a series of town meetings, resulting in the incorporation of the City in 1924. For six years City fathers put the creation of an infrastructure above all other conveniences: building streets and providing various services such as natural gas supply, a water supply, sewage disposal, postal delivery, police and fire protection, and garbage collection.
The pragmatism of the city's early residents resulted in the development of the area's first park, Wier Park, at Belmont and Sunset, in 1930. With most of the park land donated to the City by early residents and developers, West U continues to take pride in the greenery and open recreational space offered at six developed parks in existence today. Expansion of the neighborhood's largest park, Colonial Park, continues with the acquisition of surrounding lots.
Over the years, the City of West U Place has progressed steadily toward its present position as one of the area's most desirable neighborhoods. Civic-minded citizens and small-town government, combined with a proximity to major business, educational, cultural, and scientific centers, have contributed to a steady increase in property values.